The Flock

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

She did what??!!

ALOT has gone on in the running world the last few weeks, and I need to update.

First, Kara signed with Oiselle!!!!! My husband is my witness that I called this one from the day she announced she was looking for a sponsor.  I have been following Oiselle for a year now with the anticipation to apply for the team.  Last year, when applications were available, I did not know enough about them, so I decided to wait.  However, after only a few months I knew I wanted to be a part of this unique group of running women.  Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to soon.

Back to Kara, I knew she would join Oiselle because I have heard Kara speak and have read many articles of how she wants to one day impact and lead a running group, and Oiselle is the perfect place for her to do that.  That was my opinion, and turns out she thought so, too.  

This is Kara signing my Nalgene bottle at RnRNola last year

This was an awful angle and lighting for a picture, and it was awfully humid outside, hence, the bad hair day.  I am so thankful for this though! 
I love hearing the athletes' interviews at the Expos.  I wish more people, mainly recreational runners who do not follow elites, were more aware of this when they come.  They would learn a lot. 

Kara Goucher also announced today that she has a sacral stress fracture. I am sad for her but also glad that she has a group like Oiselle behind her during this time.  She is not defined by how well she performs, and she will able to still be herself as she is involved with her teammates and her passion.

I am no Kara Goucher or Lauren Fleshman or Sally, but I have had some great weeks of running since I last updated you.  I am finally feeling like I am not in miserable/pathetic shape, so I am super motivated to really get to work now.  My coach, Stephanie Bruce, has had me at 50-55 miles per week for the last few months to ensure that I am consistently running and consistently without any nagging injuries.  While that seems like it's on the lower side of mileage, she has had me do up to 17 miles for my long runs.  This is a big change from the 10-12 I have always been consistent with, and I ran 60-64 mpw while doing those.  I think it will be fun when we start ramping up the overall mileage, and I think she hinted that that would be soon :)

Here's a look at some of my workouts without all of my training details.  I am finally hitting at familiar paces from college. However, I am not yet hitting the ones I hit during my PR season. That's some confidence, at least. 

3 sets of 300, 200, 100
3 x 2 mile
3,2,1,1,2,3 Fartlek
5-6 mile Tempo runs
10-12 100m on/off
2 sets of (3 min hill, 6 x 30 sec hill)
2 sets of 1000,800,600,400
8-10 400m with 90s rest



Also, we have implemented these form drills about twice a week.  I truly can feel a difference even if I look funny doing this in the neighborhood ( I get some looks ) ! And they feel good, too. These videos are from my coaches' You Tube channel called Running with the Bruces. Check them out: ( I love the music that goes with the moves :) )
















No comments:

Post a Comment